An intruder rammed a police car at the entrance to the Capitol grounds

Two people were killed in the attack – a police officer and a suspect in the attack

All buildings that make up the U.S. Capitol campus in Washington, D.C., were on lockdown Friday afternoon after gunshots were reported in the area. According to law enforcement, an intruder rammed his vehicle into a car carrying two Capitol Police officers.

The incident occurred at the Capitol entrance near Independence Avenue, on what is known as the North Barricade.

The suspect in the attack died at the hospital. Both police officers were wounded and taken to the hospital, one of them also later died of his wounds. A police spokesperson confirmed this information at a press briefing.

Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters that the suspect rammed the police car, then got out of his vehicle and attacked the officers with a knife in his hands. The officers responded by opening fire and the suspect died from his wounds.

“It doesn’t appear to be related to terrorism, but the investigation is still ongoing,” said Robert Conti, acting chief of the Washington Metropolitan Police Department.

“It’s clear that (the suspect) was actively trying to get to someone or something – we just don’t know right now, so we have an obligation to investigate this to get to the bottom of it,” Conti said.

A little later, several TV stations, including CNN and NBC, citing law enforcement sources gave the name of the suspect – according to reporters, 25-year-old Noah Green attacked police officers.

William Evans, an 18-year veteran of the Capitol Police Department, was killed in today’s incident. This is according to a statement from Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi released a statement saying that “America’s heart is broken today because of the tragic the death of one of the heroes of the Capitol Police, Officer William Evans. He suffered for our democracy. Members of Congress, Capitol staffers and employees, and all Americans are grateful for the courage shown by the Capitol Police,” Pelosi said in a statement.

The Speaker pledged all congressional assistance to law enforcement to fully investigate the attack on police officers.

Due to the emergency, all entrances and exits at the Capitol were blocked for several hours “due to external security threats.” Employees could not enter or leave buildings on campus.

The Capitol lockdown was lifted around 3:20 p.m. U.S. East Coast time. According to CNN, staff inside the Capitol building were notified via loudspeakers that the “lockdown due to an external threat” had ended. All people inside the Congressional Building are to continue to follow police instructions.

The deputy chief of staff to the Speaker of the House reported that Nancy Pelosi ordered flags to be lowered outside the Capitol building as a sign of mourning for the death of a police officer.

U.S. President Joe Biden and his wife expressed their condolences to the family of the fallen Capitol Police officer.

“Jill and I were heartbroken after learning of the attack on the U.S. Capitol Hill checkpoint,” Biden said. – Our sincere condolences go out to Police Officer Evans’ family and all those who mourn his loss.”

Biden ordered that flags be lowered over the White House “as a sign of mourning the loss of another brave police officer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *