Otto Warmbier’s parents issued a statement on Friday in response to President Trump’s defense of Kim Jong Un over their son’s death.
“We have been respectful during this summit process,” Fred and Cindy Warmbier said in a statement. “Now we must speak out.”
“Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son Otto. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity. No excuses or lavish praise can change that,” the
Otto Warmbier was arrested in January 2016 for allegedly stealing a propaganda poster while on tour in Pyongyang, North Korea and was sentenced to 15 years of hard labour.
Warmbier was released to the United States in a vegetative state in 2017 and died not soon after.
“He tells me he didn’t know about it, and I take him at his word,” Trump said in defense of the North Korean leader.
“And, you know, you’ve got a lot of people. Big Country. A lot of people. And in those prisons and those camps, you have a lot of people,” Trump said. “And some really bad things happened to Otto. Some really bad things.”
Trump also said the leader wasn’t aware of what was happening to Wambier and was told about it later.
Last year, Trump invited the Warmbier family to the State of the Union where he blamed Kim Jong Un for Otto’s death.